With the onrush of COVID blursdays, it may have escaped your notice that it’s National Sleep Awareness week and that the phrase “sleep health” has become a thing. For reasons scientists still don’t fully understand, loss of sleep can lower your immune system, make you forgetful, cause you to gain weight and sadly, yes, lower your sex drive.
It’s unavoidable: You need to sleep!
Yet something so basic to human life can also seem unattainable, a far-off land that everyone gets to visit regularly except you. That’s one lonely bummer.
The good news is that there are five things you can do today, right now, to help yourself fall — and most importantly: stay — asleep.
- Support your cannabinoid system fully for the best health you can have, including the best sleep you can have.
- Take a walk. Many medical professionals won’t prescribe sleep medications unless the patient isn’t already exercising for at least 60 minutes a day. You can do it in 15-minute increments or just go for a full hour-long stint, but however you approach exercise, try to wear yourself out physically every single day.
- Make your bedroom a sanctuary. Bedrooms are for two things: Sleeping and sex. They’re not for screen-watching and stress. Remove the blue lit things all around you and create a soft and quiet place where you can let the day drift away and allow sleep to take you over.
- Keep to routine. Try to go to bed and arise at roughly the same time each day, even on the weekends. The body, the brain — they’re like babies. They love routine. Give them that love.
- Quit the drink. Alcohol loves to wait until 4am to wake you soundly up, parched and weary, and begin to harass you about former lovers and unpaid bills and climate change — and who needs it.
So, yeah: Alcohol doesn’t love you. But cannabis does!
Here are five of our fave ways to go — and stay — asleep.
- LA Confidential Skymint X DNA Pre-Roll A glorious herbal nod to OG Cali days of yore, this Indica-positive smoke will get you drifting blissfully and keep you there.
- Glow Water Tea Add to your bedtime ritual by hydrating quietly with this CBD-rich tea blended specifically to help you drift to bliss.
- Cookies ‘n’ Cream AKA The World’s Best Fake Oreo, one of these happy cream wafers with a warm cup of milk will have you off to the Land of Nod in no time.
- Sleep Drops Let the extracts do the work while you ensure your sanity for a full eight hours of slumber.
- Northern Lights Vape Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are, up above the world so high . . . Hold on. Has this always been a stoner song?